St. Rita of Cascia High School was founded in 1905 by the Very Rev. James F. Green, O.S.A. Construction of what was Green Hall was the initial step in forming the original campus. Student enrollment mounted rapidly and in 1922, when the pressure of other duties necessitated Fr. Green’s retirement from scholastic work, St. Rita High School had become established in Chicago as one of the leading secondary schools.
Successor to the founder was the Very Rev. William L. Egan, O.S.A., during whose incumbency the original Harris Gym and Egan Hall were completed. The Very Rev. Joseph B. Kepperling, O.S.A. followed Fr. Egan in 1926, but his splendid work was brought to an untimely close by his death on June 4, 1929. The Very Rev. John J. Harris, O.S.A. was selected as the next rector to direct St. Rita’s destiny.
In the summer of 1935, the Rev. Ruellan P. Fink, O.S.A. succeeded Fr. Harris. Fr. Fink was the motivating spirit of many noteworthy developments, of which the most important achievement was the installation of a technical course in 1936.
Fr. Fink also began an extensive expansion program as evidenced by the erection of the Mendel technical building, completed in June 1938, and the addition to Egan Hall, completed in August 1939. A modern concrete stadium was built in 1946 and the new monastery was completed in May 1949.
Rev. John E. McLaughlin, O.S.A. succeeded Fr. Fink in 1956 as Principal. In 1962 Rev. Francis P. Crawford, O.S.A. became Principal. He was succeeded in 1968 by the Very Rev. Daniel B. Trusch, O.S.A. In 1971 Rev. LaVern J. Flach, O.S.A. became Principal; in 1979 Rev. David L. Brecht, O.S.A., in 1983 Rev. Patrick E. Murphy, O.S.A. became Principal and in 1989 Rev. Bernard R. Danber, O.S.A. was appointed Principal. Both Fr. Murphy and Fr. Danber are graduates of St. Rita High School.
On June 27, 1990, Rev. Bernard R. Danber O.S.A. was given the keys to the new campus at 7740 South Western Ave. In 1993 a new president-principal model was adopted for the school. Rev. Michael J. O’Connor, O.S.A. became the school’s first president. Fr. O’Connor appointed Mr. Joseph F. Bamberger as Principal. In the year 2000 Rev. Thomas R. McCarthy O.S.A. was then named the second President and the first alumni president of St. Rita High School. In the spring of 2002 Fr. McCarthy became President-Principal after Mr. Joseph F. Bamberger retired after 42 years of dedicated service to St. Rita High School.
In 2007, Fr. McCarthy began to focus full-time on the duties of the President, and St. Rita named its first female Principal, Mrs. Sally E. Deenihan. Mrs. Deenihan retired in July 2010, after 25 years of service, and Mr. Brendan J. Conroy succeeded her as Principal. Mr. Ernest J. Mrozek, a 1971 St. Rita graduate, succeeded Fr. McCarthy in July of 2012 to become the third President of St. Rita High School.
In the summer of 2016, Fr. Paul Galetto, O.S.A, Ph.D. was named Head of School by the St. Rita Board of Directors, with Mike Zunica (Hon.) being named the school's fourth President. Mr. Ernie Mrozek '71 transitioned to the role of Chairman of the Board of Directors, while Mr. Brendan Conroy remained the school's principal.